Hiking & Climbing Books
- The National Outdoor Leadership School’s Wilderness Guide, Mark Harvey, Fireside/Simon & Schuster
- The Backpacker’s Field Manual, Rick Curtis, Three Rivers Press
- Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills, Don Graydon & Kurt Hanson, The Mountaineers Books
- The Complete Walker IV, Colin Fletcher & Chip Rawlins, Alfred A. Knopf
- AMC Guide to Outdoor Leadership, Alex Kosseff, Appalachian Mountain Club Books
- Wilderness Navigation, Bob Burns & Mike Burns, The Mountaineers Books
These texts cannot teach you everything that you need to know about outdoor recreation but they are good sources of information. Your own experience in applying the principles and techniques they demonstrate is the best teacher.