Animated Knots by Grog
- A-B-C of Rock Climbing
- Map & Compass
US Geological Survey
- Free, New Mexico topographic map downloads
- Free, Arizona topographic map downloads
- Calculate current magnetic declination for your compass before heading out
- Microsoft website with topo maps and aerial photographs of US
- Idaho State University introduction to topographic maps
- Navigation with map and compass from Princeton University, Outdoor Action Program
- Printable overlays for working with topographic maps
Maps and Compass
- Maps, compass, GPS, things navigational from Educational Observatory Institute
Hiking in the desert Southwest
- Information about the desert including CA, NV, AZ, UT, CO, NM, TX
- Mostly AZ and UT but also CA
- Outdoor issues
Educational, legal, technical discussions and references
- Bear Awareness, tips for dealing with the possibility of black bear encounters while hiking
See also the books listed as hiking resources.
Local Forest Trails
Each national forest maintains its own set of trails and their lists vary
as far as completeness of descriptions, availability of maps, etc.
Contact information is available on their websites and also elsewhere on the NMMC website.